Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

                                         


                                                        The first worst day of my life..
        We had been married for almost a year when my new husband tried to die on me.
We had spent the weekend at Mom & Dad’s house talking and playing and eating pears. Yes, pears…half green pears, and he had made a pig of himself in the process.

 Back at home in our little room that served as our home, the one where we put our milk and other cold things out between the window and the screen and I washed dishes in a little bathroom sink that also served as a wash basin for his greasy hands courtesy of Charlie Bynum’s gas station. We lived in one of the rooms of a motel that Charlie had behind the station. Paradise!
He was sick as a dog from bedtime till morning. Retching and heaving up all of those pears he had enjoyed earlier in the day. We thought that was it, and the pain in his side let up later that day, and we thought it was over.
Nope, it started again, the pain that took his breath away, and he was fading away on me. Scared…Oh yeah! I didn’t even have my drivers license yet.
”Babe, he said, I think I can drive us out of town, if you can take it from there. I think we should go to your Mom’s.” So that’s what we did, him in the backseat writhing in pain, groaning, shaking with an unrelenting fever and pain that  took him in and out of consciousness…
We finally got to Mama’s house, and I ran in the house screaming for her to help him. She took one look and took him to Anadarko to the doctor. 
Somehow he made it in there, no damn wonder they called him Hoss…

Brief examination…He’s got a hot appendix…got insurance? No. Get him to University Hospital as fast as you can…Oklahoma City, as sick as he was?? 
Oh dear Jesus, don’t let him die, and all I could do was cry…he was comforting me…                          Oh baby, don’t cry.
I got in the back seat with him, holding his head in my lap and bawling like a baby. We stopped at Verden and got Daddy from the mill where he was working.

”Hurry Daddy, Hurry! I’ve got it floor-boarded, Sis, it’s all I can do”…he ran every red light, and drove like a madman… we never saw a cop…where’s a cop when you need one…Suddenly then...we’re backing down in the bay at the hospital so they can unload him…

They took him straightway to surgery, as we all collapsed on the benches there in the hall. Dad was as white as a sheet, and Mama shook a cigarette from it’s box and lit up one for her and Dad. They told me they would come and get me when he was in his room. So now the waiting and wondering…Hours went by while I paced the floor. Finally, I told them I was gonna go find him…took down the hall looking in every ward on the surgical floor for a glimpse of him.
And I found him then, in a troubled sleep, but he was alive. Oh God, he was alive. I ran quietly to get Mom & Dad and they saw him there sleeping,by then everybody was crying.
The doctor said when he lifted that appendix out of it’s place, it ruptured.


That was early November 1959…and he left for Basic Training right after Christmas…Hoss...you betcha~!